If you are not already aware, a Doula is a birth professional who provides physical comfort and emotional support to an expecting mother during her labor and birth process. You can read about the different types of doulas and the services they provide below!
• POSTPARTUM DOULA (PPD)
A Postpartum Doula, or PPD, aids the mother and/or father and birth partner by providing breastfeeding help, cleaning services, and additional support after the birth of their baby and helps them to transition as smoothly as possible into their new roles as parents.
A PPD can be essential in the first few weeks for adjusting parents, especially those who are brand new to it. Either way, every baby and birthing experience is different, and having extra guidance can make a world of difference!
• LABOR DOULA (CLD)
A Certified Labor Doula, or CLD, helps the mother during her labor and birthing experience by providing physical comfort using massaging techniques and position changes in active labor. A Certified Labor Doula also gives the mother emotional support during the sometimes difficult period before her baby makes its grand entrance by using encouraging affirmations and other useful strategies.
A Labor Doula is also useful as they help to facilitate communication between the birther and the doctor/midwives and medical staff present. The CLD ensures that there is no deviation from the birther’s original birth plan and acts as a middle man of sorts to help the expecting mother receive and understand critical information.
One of the most beautiful ways a Labor Doula aids in the labor and birth process is by helping to focus on the relationship between the birther and their partner in order to create a peaceful, relaxing, supportive, and calming environment for the expecting mother. This helps build the bond between the two expecting parents/partners and plays a key role soon after the baby is born.
BENEFITS OF A CLD
Studies have shown that when a Certified Labor Doula is present during the birthing process, expectant mothers are less likely to receive pain relief medication and can decrease the chance of a cesarean birth by up to 50%. A CLD can also administer massages if desired by the laboring mother to help relieve/reduce pain and ensure the birther is in a calm and relaxed environment, helping to eliminate stress and distractions. Having a Certified Labor Doula on your birth team can also help reduce the duration of labor by up to 25%, decrease the request for an epidural by 60%, and increase the levels of oxytocin (the happy hormone) by 40% after your baby is born.
Talk about BIRTH SUPPORT!
DOES A DOULA REPLACE MY BIRTH PARTNER?
NO! In fact, one of the key roles a Certified Labor Doula plays during the birthing process- besides looking after the mother- is to help enhance the relationship between the birther and birth partner, if one is present. This can be a truly rewarding experience for both parties as the expecting mother seeks pain relief and comfort, while the birth partner is empowered by the CLD to provide that emotional support. A fantastic example of this is what is called a “Labor Dance” between the birthing mother and her partner. Your CLD will encourage this to help calm the mother during the laboring process, but it can also heighten levels of oxytocin (the happy hormone again!).
HOW DOES IT WORK?
- CONSULTATION: Here we will get to know one another to see if I would be a good fit for you during your pregnancy and birthing journey. During the consultation, we will be able to discuss your birth wishes and I can answer any questions you may have about my role as your Certified Labor Doula. You can schedule a consultation by heading to the CONTACT page.
- SCHEDULING: Once you have decided that BIRTH BABE is the right fit for you and your family, we will book two prenatal appointments over the course of your pregnancy (first between 20-22 weeks and the second between 34-36 weeks). A 50% deposit is due at the time of scheduling and signing. You can pay online, over the phone, or during your consultation if you so choose.
- WELCOME: You are now a BIRTH BABE! This not only secures our Birth Doula Services for you but also grants you access to the ONLINE BIRTH COACHING COURSES (valued at $500) where you will learn valuable information, tips, and tricks to help you feel empowered, be prepared, and love your birth! You can find more information about the online courses on the BIRTH COACHING page or our Instagram Page (@birthbabedoula).
- FIRST APPOINTMENT: Between 20-22 weeks we will meet to discuss your desires and fears surrounding your birth. We’ll work on building a strong birth team and a birth plan that you and your family will feel comfortable with. I will answer any questions you may have regarding your pregnancy, labor, birth, and postpartum phases and refer you to the ONLINE BIRTH COACHING COURSES for additional information and helpful tips. We will also cover birthing positions, pain-relief options, labor preparation stretches, and more. (This meeting will be conducted at my home or through a virtual meeting. Whichever you choose!)
- SECOND APPOINTMENT: Between 34-36 weeks, we will meet to go over any questions you may have regarding your ONLINE BIRTH COACHING COURSE materials, birth plan, and any other concerns you may have at that time. During this meeting, we will continue practicing specific stretches to help you and your baby prepare for the big day. We will also discuss postpartum, breastfeeding, and newborn care. The remaining balance will be due at this time.
- LABOR & BIRTH: Once you believe you are in labor, please CALL me and I will come to meet you either at your home or your hospital of choice/birthing center. From the time I meet you until you give birth to your baby, I will be by your side giving you any emotional and physical support you may need. After your baby’s arrival, I will stay with you for 1-2 hours to make sure you and your new family are settling in or until you are ready for quiet time. We will then schedule a follow-up session to visit you and your baby, review your birth, and gain feedback on my role as your Certified Labor Doula.
OPTIONAL POSTPARTUM VISIT
To take advantage of the full range of the Birth Babe Doula Services, you have the option to add a 3-hour postpartum visit from me held in the comfort of your own home. This service is available up to two weeks after your baby’s arrival and includes additional support you may need with breastfeeding, cleaning, laundry, and extra newborn care, tips, and tricks. I will also help answer any questions you may have to help you and your partner navigate the new world of parenting.
Scheduling: You can add this service to your Birth Doula package prior to your baby’s birth and the visit will be scheduled after your baby’s arrival.
AS YOUR DOULA
• It is my top priority to ensure you are as knowledgeable and informed as you can be prior to birthing your baby, as comfortable as possible during labor, and EMPOWERED to make the best decisions that you feel are right for your unique, intimate, and beautiful birth.
• I will design a learning environment that is beneficial, transparent, and positive for you and your birth partner before the day you meet your baby.
• I will help to create a calm, relaxing, and peaceful birthing environment for you and your birth partner to help you achieve your desired birth experience.
Birth Doula Service: $900
Optional Postpartum Visit: $100/3 hours
Ultimately, YOU deserve to have the most wonderful birth experience and YOU deserve to decide for yourself what is best for you and your baby.